Patient recalls will increase patient returns, but that isn’t their primary purpose. They’re more than simple reminders to increase business. They are a tool to remind your patients how important a visit to your office is to maintain their health.
The goal of recalls is to promote a healthy lifestyle in patients and preventative care. It is not to advertise new products or services to patients. These messages must be clinically relevant. Effective recall services contact the right patients at the right time, with the right tone, to deliver the right information.
The Importance of Patient Recalls
The first hurdle in sending effective recalls is gaining access to the correct data in your scheduling software. Your experienced patient communications vendor can help with this integration.
Next, you must impress on the patient the value of their visit and the importance of your communication with them. Different patient needs suggest different tactics for this communication.
- Some patients just need a recall to remind them of a recommended procedure, treatment, or test you discussed during their last appointment.
- A patient may require special care or regular checkups as a vital reminder to maintain their health and quality of life.
- Regarding regular checkups and preventative care; it’s important to remind patients when their next scheduled visit is coming due.
How to Implement an Effective Recall Service
The best recalls include direct and professional language to inform the right patients of the services most relevant to them. A few of the most important aspects of this communication include:
- Identifying patients who require regular or frequent appointments
- Note in the patient chart how often a patient should be contacted. For example, monthly, yearly, or on another schedule.
- Always include the reason for the suggested visit in any recall communication.
- Use effective and direct language, chosen to help the patient feel in control of their healthcare plan.
- Recalls should be sent using the patient’s preferred method of contact, whether that be by phone call, text message, or email message.
- Include a simple direction for scheduling a future appointment.
Recalls done right will re-engage patients. By sending recalls, your practice will experience greater profitability and improve upon your bottom line. With Pay-for-Performance just around the corner, recalls will be a key component of your overall strategy for increasing patient satisfaction. If you would like to implement patient recalls in your practice, Callpointe can help. Contact us today and talk to one of our representatives.